Sunday, May 24, 2015


Last month, a friend of mine had a birthday. Our friend made her the cutest wine glasses I have ever seen. Here's a picture of the one she sent me - isn't it the cutest?! I fell in love and new I had to try to make one for her birthday. After finding out what tool she used, I went out to find one of my own.

It was this really cool Engraving Pen which I found at my local craft store. After I got it home, I realized there was a disclaimer about how it "may cause cancer," so I kind of freaked out and wore I surgical mask when I was engraving. 

My skills are nowhere near as defined as Abby's, but here is my finished attempt. It was a little shaky (it's hard to hold the glass, and the pen with a steady hand all at the same time!), but I was still pleased. Sadly, I forgot to take a picture, but my friend sent me own when she used it for her birthday.

For the other part of Abby's gift, I wanted to make a sign with the quote from Gossip Girl. I tried many times before I finally found a tutorial that worked for me.

First, I typed up the quote in Word, and then cut it out and arranged it how I wanted on the sign.

Then, I took them off of the sign, turned them over and used a pencil to scribble on the back being sure to cover all the ink. 

Oh, and if you are doing this on a white surface, you should probably lay something first. I didn't. I guess I like to live on the edge like that. And, well, it's only pencil. It wiped right off.

Then I taped all of the paper back onto the sign and traced the outline of the letters with a ballpoint pen.

When you take off the paper it will look like this - magical, huh?

Now, I thought about painting the letters, but I didn't trust myself - painting is not my thing. I happened to have an oil based Sharpie Paint Maker, so I used that to go over and outline all the letters. 


And then I was finished - and I was pleased with the outcome. It looks much better than it would if I had attempted to freehand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment