Saturday, June 20, 2015

Herb Garden



Okay, so usually I have no green thumb at all. I love flowers and they look so pretty, but they usually end up dying well before they should - mostly the indoor plants that I forget to water. Oops.

However, I love cooking and always say how nice it would be to open the door and have fresh herbs at my disposal. So, this year I decided I would bite the bullet and make a small, single potted herb garden.

And let me tell you, I am so glad I did. These pictures are a few weeks old, but it is growing like crazy. I've already had to cut it down and preserve some of the herbs twice. The pay off is going to be great.


Here's a list of what I planted:
  • Parsley
  • Basil
  • Oregano
  • Thyme
  • Dill
  • Lavender 
  • Cilantro
  • Sage
  • Chives

 The basil, especially, has been wonderful. I've made so many pasta salads, pesto and sauces already. I love summer cooking so much.

The one thing was, with all the herbs, I wanted a cute way to label them. Let's face it - those little plastic markers that come in the containers when you buy the plants are far from pretty.  I happened to have a bag of skewers and some wine corks, so I wrote the name of the herb on the cork, put the cork on the skewer, and stuck the skewer in the dirt. It was perfect!



 I wanted a nice little table to keep the  box off the ground, but all the ones I liked were too expensive. I did a little searching and I found this table in the attic. Tomorrow's plan is to paint it and put some stones on it. I'll post about it  soon.



The herb garden was such a success that I was inspired to start a vegetable garden as well. I wish I would have taken before and after pictures because the garden is getting way bigger than I had anticipated. It's so big that I'm afraid it may become too crowded!

More on that another time, too...


No comments:

Post a Comment